ActInSpace ®, the international hackathon, took place on 13 and 14 November, simultaneously over 5 continents, in 40 countries and 61 cities, virtually in most cases (82%) and sometimes in a physical version (18%).
This 4th edition will have been marked by the Covid-19 crisis, which forced the organisers to suspend registrations between March and October. Nevertheless, despite this exceptional situation, project holders were present once again, all hoping to launch their start-up at the end of the competition!
In total, over 2,300 people representing 534 teams, mainly composed of students and coached by professionals from the space sector, confronted each other across the world during 24 hours, trying to imagine new products and services for tomorrow, taking up the challenges proposed by CNES, ESA and the partners of ActInSpace®, using their patents or their satellite data.
Driven by the will to create their company while offering solutions for the planet, for its citizens or for employment (i.e. fighting against the effects of global warming, improving everyday life or simply addressing one of the many issues of tomorrow), participants of all ages, from all backgrounds and countries worked hard during these two days, hoping to be selected for the international ActInSpace® final, planned next year.
Regarding the profiles of the candidates, it can be noted that 40% were not at all from a scientific or engineering background, as many were literature, human sciences, architecture or art students, which provided a great diversity in the projects presented.
As usual, students (72%) constituted the majority of participants. The remaining 28% were composed of employees (16%), business owners (7%), job seekers (4%) and diverse profiles (1%).
Feminine participation has also grown significantly, with 30% women candidates, against 23% for the last edition of ActInSpace® in 2018.
The next step for ActInSpace® 2020 will be the national finals in each country, followed by the international final, which will all take place in 2021 and will highlight the best projects worldwide.
ActInSpace® 2020 is supported by 15 international partners: Airbus, (historic Gold partner of the event) and SES, world number 1 supplier of satellite telecom services (Silver partner), as well as AirZero G, Continental, CLS, Dassault Aviation, EBAN Space, ESSP, Geo University, GSA, Invest in Toulouse, Kinéis, Suez, Ubisoft and WEkEO.
More information on the finalists and their projects: www.actinspace.org
3 editions over 6 years - 35 start-ups created since the first edition.
In 2020: 2,300 participants among which 72% students, 40 countries, 61 cities throughout the world. 534 projects showcased, 61 challenges taken up and 636 professionals helping the contestants.
Contacts for the media:
Aerospace Valley: Caroline BROWN - email@example.com – +33 6 22 08 86 23
CNES : Pascale BRESSON - firstname.lastname@example.org – +33 1 44 76 75 39
Raphaël SART - email@example.com – +33 1 44 76 74 51
ESA Space Solutions : Natasha WHEATLEY – Natasha.firstname.lastname@example.org